I spent my first evening of Spring Break in my apartment doing a batch of dye tests while catching up on Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu (btw, great show, check it out). I have two main fabrics to work with—a textured white cotton material and a more complex woven upholstery fabric. The cotton took the dye really well. The upholstery worked better than I expected, but it did come out a bit darker than I would like.
So far so good. The process of using iDye packets is pretty simple and worked as expected (no surprises... which was a surprise). The dye is a powder that you add to water, then add fabric, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 30 minutes. The tests took all evening because I did 4 batches.
|A little goes a long way with iDye—a dusting of dye powder did the trick.|
|Huzzah! I didn't burn anything.|
|Scarlet, pumpkin, and pink iDye pigments compared to the original fabrics above.|
Far left: upholstery fabric treated with pink iDye.